1-800-315-2391
0

Powdered Caffeine Leads to Teen's Death and FDA Warning

1-800-315-2391  |  July 28th

Powdered Caffeine Leads to Teen's Death and FDA Warning

Reportedly, an eighteen year old from Ohio sadly died from a caffeine overdose this past May but his death wasn't linked to highly caffeinated energy drinks like one may think, it was from pure caffeine powder. When the young man died, he had lethal amounts of the substance in his system the autopsy showed Newsday reports.

Before hearing of the young man's death on the news, I wasn't even aware that caffeine was available in pure powdered form. Caffeine is a stimulant that's found in many products such as coffee, caffeinated beverages, and chocolate as well as some medications but it's also obtainable on the internet in "bulk bags" in powder form according to the FDA.

A warning issued by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says the stimulant pure caffeine is powerful, just one teaspoon is approximately equal to twenty five cups of coffee and that a tiny amount can lead to an accidental overdose.

The warning issued by the Food and Drug Association about the dangers associated with powdered caffeine is to warn consumers to avoid these products. A caffeine overdose is very serious and can be lethal, symptoms can include rapid or dangerously erratic heartbeat, seizures and death according to the statement released by the FDA.


References & Resources

Comments & Replies:

  •  

    There are no comments for this post yet.

 

Submit Reply

To protect the integrity of our site all comments are reviewed prior to being shown, we apologize for the small delay, but this brings a better experience for our readers. SPAM & rude comments are not tolerated, and they will never be approved.